“THE UNEXPECTED JOURNEY”
“I Will Not Be Silent Anymore”
April 19 - 21, 2013
Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows Schaumburg
Rolling Meadows, (Chicago), Illinois
3405 Algonquin Rd Rolling Meadows, IL 60008,
United States 847-259-6600
Abuse sent many MKs and their families on an ‘Unexpected Journey’. This conference will address actions and steps to help us move toward reclaiming our lives and breaking the silence.
We invite you to come and join us to hear speakers ranging from professionals in trauma counseling, law, writers and MKs who are breaking the silence.
This conference is intended for former MKs (Missionary Kids) and their families and friends. All keynote speakers and breakout sessions will address abuse and trauma experienced by former MKs with a view to breaking the silence of abuse and offering resources to move toward healing.
Please be sure to return to this page often as we will be adding more conference details. A program listing speakers, topics and breakout sessions will be coming soon.
Don't forget to mark your calendar. This is an event you will not want to miss. We look forward to seeing you in Chicago, April 19 - 21, 2013!
For those who are interested in advocating within the missionary community for investigations, reform or justice related to child abuse, Mk Safety Net will be hosting a two day Advocacy Summit prior to the main conference event on April 18-19, 2013. If you are already an advocate or would like to become one, then this event is for you. The MKSN Board of Directors will be at the Advocacy Summit in order to personally meet with you. Please visit our Advocacy Summit info page for a full listing of the itinerary and registration.
Topics will include:
- Impact of abuse on family systems, including:
- Marriages and children
- Relationships with siblings and parents
- Sexual abuse and bullying between children
- How to report abuse to civil authorities and to denominations (panel discussion with both MK’s and professionals who have been on investigatory panels)
- Recovery of healthy spirituality
- Different therapies available for trauma, both traditional and non-traditional therapies
- William Paul Young, Adult Mk; Author of The Shack
- Boz Tchividjian, G.R.A.C.E. Founder & Professor of Law, Liberty University School of Law, Lynchburg, VA. He is currently the lead investigator into abuse at FANDA, New Tribes Mission, and into allegations of abuse by Dr. Ketcham, an ABWE missionary.
- Andrew Schmutzer, Adult MK, Author and editor of The Long Journey Home: Understanding and Ministering to the Sexually Abused, in addition to other articles. Professor, Moody Bible Institute; delivered an enlightening sermon on the church’s response to abuse survivors: Present Help in Present Trouble (week 4)
- Beverly Shellrude Thompson, MK Advocate, Founding Member of Mk Safety Net (MKSN), President of MKSN Board of Directors
- David Clohessy, Media Consultant and National Director, SNAP
Advocacy Summit (April 18-19, 2013):
Summit begins at 1:00 pm on April 18, ending at 1:00 pm on April 19
- $10 (plus hotel & meals) for attendees registered for the April 19-21 MKSN Conference
- $40 (plus hotel & meals) for attendees not attending the April 19-21 MKSN Conference
Main Conference Event (April
Conference begins at 3:00 pm on April 19, ending at 12:00 pm on April 21
- Regular Registration: $180.00 (Registration Forms must be submitted on or before April 14, 2013 )
- Registration Fee-Conference plus Advocacy Summit: $190.00
(Registration Forms must be submitted on or before April 14, 2013 )
****REGISTRATION DEADLINE: April 14, 2013***
DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS LANDMARK EVENT! Make plans now to attend and be a part of creating a safe networking environment where MKs, TCKs, their parents, families and friends can tell their stories and offer mutual support.
Application for Conference Registration Fee Subsidy
MK Safety Net Conference
April 19 – 21 , 2013
All information will be kept confidential and seen only by those reviewing applications.
The subsidy is now available only to cover the cost of the Registration Fee. This subsidy is available to former MKs who suffered abuse who would be unable to attend the Conference without this assistance.
Participants are expected to cover their own travel, hotel and meals for the Conference.
All information will be kept confidential and you will be notified by 5 March, 2013, of our decision regarding your application. We cannot anticipate how many people will apply, therefore, we cannot guarantee that an application will guarantee assistance.
All information will be kept confidential and seen only by those determining how subsidies will be appropriated.
The conference will be held at the Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows Schaumburg in Rolling Meadows, (Chicago), Illinois and participants will be housed there as well. Room rates at the Holiday Inn are $89 per night, single/double occupancy. The group rate is available three days before and after the conference in case you wanted to extend your trip to explore the Chicago area! Please click on link below to make your room reservations online.
There will be complimentary on-site parking for all hotel guests. Holiday Inn will also provide a complimentary hotel courtesy shuttle to and from the Chicago O'Hare International Airport, which is located approx. 8 miles/10 minutes from the hotel.
To take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service take the following steps. When you arrive at O'Hare Airport follow the directional signs to "ground transportation". When you arrive at the Transportation Center, Door 2, call Holiday Inn at 847-259-6600 to ask for the shuttle. The hotel will give you a time that the shuttle will arrive.
After the conference, to return back to the Airport, please talk to the staff at reception to make arrangements for the shuttle to take you back to O'Hare Airport.
All guests will have access to complimentary wireless internet in both sleeping and meeting rooms as well as access to a complimentary 24-hour business center.
All guestrooms have a refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer, iron/ironing board, coffeemaker & complimentary wireless internet as well as access to the Polynesian Atrium with 2 pools, sauna, fitness center, indoor basketball/volleyball court & 30,000 square feet of tropical, lush flowers & greenery.
Some points of interst for those who would like to plan some sight seeing or shopping during your stay include: